I have to admit, I think Yoda is awesome. Yes, he is a puppet, but that is beside the point. He had the wisdom, and know how to teach a young Jedi wanna-be to be a true Jedi warrior. Yoda was not an imposing figure, he was able to get his point across through his words (strange as they were).
What Yoda did was reminded Luke of his destiny. Yoda was constantly reminding Luke of his goals. This is what you need to do, to reach your goals. As a mentor, a big part of your job is to remind your student of their end goals. To challenge them to be better than yesterday.
What are things mentors do:
Support
Challenge
Allowing Vision
This trilogy can provide the mentor and their students with the tools they will need to be successful. We don't need to be Yoda or Mr. Miyagi to be a mentor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I watch the message "to be better than yesterday" exemplified through youth athletics. Why do you think that message in lost in adulthood? It seems like once you get into adulthood the message is to be the best and the incremental improvements go unnoticed.
ReplyDeleteI have had this Yoda-ism posted in my classroom before:
ReplyDelete"No try. Only do."
Kirsten, I wonder if part of the problem is that in our youth, the vision or goal or "destiny" seems more concrete and immediate. For me it was, finish college, go be an engineer. Concrete, do-able, immediate. Now that I am in my 30's, the vision seems a lot murkier and so progress towards that destiny seems more halting or sideways or backwards. And sometimes I'm not sure what that destiny is at all, so "better" gets harder to define.
ReplyDelete